loader image
Learn about the safe, effective COVID-19 vaccines and find where to get vaccinated at vaccine.ky.gov

Duplicate Title

If the original Motor Vehicle or Boat Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated you may apply for a duplicate title. The duplicate title will void any title previously issued in the state of Kentucky.

  • The current owner of the vehicle must apply for duplicate title.
  • If your name has changed since the title was issued, for identification purposes only, please attach a copy of the legal document authorizing the name change, i.e. copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court documents. The name cannot be changed in duplicate title process.
  • If owner is deceased, Probate or Trust papers along with a death certificate must be provided to the Clerk’s Office at time of application. The petitioner, executor, or trustee must be the person making application.
  • If application is being signed by a Power-of-Attorney, the Clerk’s Office must be provided a copy of the signed POA papers at time of application.

How to obtain a Duplicate Title

  1. The applications are available at the office or you may download the appropriate application here.  For vehicles complete a Motor Vehicle Application of Title TC96-182. For boats complete a Motor Boat Transaction Record TC96-184.
  2. On the application you must complete the Vehicle/Boat Information Section and Owner/Buyer information. Signature must be notarized.
  3. Mail the completed Motor Vehicle Application or Motor Boat Transaction Record along with $6.00 for each duplicate title requested to the Barren County Clerk’s Office (see Contact Us below for mailing address).

General Information

If the application is being applied for in person in the Barren County Clerk’s Office, the owner, or person signing for the owner, must appear with a valid picture I.D.

Businesses giving Power of Attorney are required to provide an “authorization to sign” on original letterhead or business card with person’s name who is making application or a copy of an employee ID.

Processing time:

Please allow 3 to 4 business days after receipt of application for processing. If there was a lien on the vehicle and the loan has been paid off, contact our office to see if the lien has been released. If the loan has been paid in full, but the lien has not been released by our office, you must obtain a Title Lien Statement from your lien holder. The secured party (lien holder) may be added by noting it in the proper area of the application. A Title Lien Statement must be completed at the time of application. There is a $22.00 lien filing fee if the lien is filed within the first 30 days of the date on the title lien statement, then if it is after 30 days of the date on the title lien statement then the lien filing fee will be $24.00.

Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, personal checks and cashier’s check. MasterCard, Visa, AMEX and Discover are also accepted. Out-of-state checks are not accepted. If application is made in person, a valid picture ID is required for acceptance of personal checks.

If you have any questions regarding this information, you may call the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783.

Skip to content