Transferring title from KY individual to KY individual:
– KY Title
Complete the “assignment of title” on the back of your Kentucky title. Complete the seller and buyer section of the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title/Registration.
Note: Complete the seller and buyer section of the Transfer of Title by Owner. Both signatures of the seller and buyer are required to be notarized.
Applying for Title for the first time
– Photo ID
– Completed Motor Boat Transaction Record Application for Title/Registration TC 96-184 signed-over Kentucky title. If a bill of sale or affidavit of ownership is used, a pencil tracing or picture of the hull number must be provided.
– If your name is different on the title than the one on your ID, you must provide an affidavit showing they are one in the same. A marriage license will meet this requirement.
– Photo ID
– Completed TC 96-184
-Out of state title signed over by the seller and notarized (if applicable). If the state you are purchasing from only issues registration on boats, bring registration in place of signed over title. If you purchased a boat out-of-state and they only issue a bill of sale, you will need a letter from that state stating the boat is not registered or titled and they are not required to be in that state.
– A Bill of Sale, signed by both the buyer and seller and it needs to be notarized.
-If your name on the title is different than the one on your ID, you must provide an affidavit showing they are one and the same. A marriage license will do.
– If you live out-of-state, you must title and register your boat in the Kentucky County where it is docked.
Due to state exemptions, Kentucky does not title or register documented boats. If you choose to, you will need to provide the following:
– Certificate of documentation
– Release Letter from the U.S. Coastguard. For more information visit the U.S. National Vessel Documentation Center.
– Photo ID
– Completed TC 96-184 and signed over title. If your state requires titling documented boats, you will need a title.
– If you live out-of-state, you must title and register your boat in the Kentucky county where it is docked.
Duplicate Boat Title:
To get a Replacement/Duplicate Title you will need the following:
– Form TC 96-184 properly completed including the owner section and the motor boat identification section.
– Title number OR KY Number
– Picture ID or driver’s license
Updating or Correcting Errors:
Due to the various issues which could result in a HIN mismatch, contact your County Clerk for guidance / explanation. Updates will require the original title, completed Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (TC 96-184) pencil tracing or photo of hull number, and a photo ID.
To update a misspelled name, a photo ID, along with the Title, must be presented to the county clerk in the owner’s county of residence.
To update an address, a photo ID or piece of physical mail (with current postmark) must be presented, along with the Title, to the county clerk in the owner’s county of residence.
To update a make/model/color/year/etc., photo ID, along with Title, must be presented to the county clerk in the owner’s county of residence. Speak with County Clerk for special guidance.
Update/Removal of and/or Conjunction
In order to remove a co-owner from a Title, both parties must sign the back of the existing Title. If one party is unavailable, a Power of Attorney form signed (and notarized) by the absent party is acceptable. Updates/Removals are processed by the county clerk in the owner’s county of residence.
Failure to Receive Your Title
If you have not received your Title within 45 days of application, contact your County Clerk’s office.