loader image
COVID-19 Alert – For the latest information on the novel coronavirus in Kentucky, please visit kycovid19.ky.gov

Rebuilt Vehicle

Once the salvaged vehicle has been repaired and is road worthy, you must complete the rebuilt process to put the vehicle back on the road.

 To complete this process, you will need:


– ALL ORIGINAL RECEIPTS for parts purchased to repair the vehicle.

– LABOR STATEMENT – should consist of work done on vehicle and how many hours it took to complete each repair (signed by person who completed the repairs in front of a notary)


– Signed by current owner in front of a notary (person whose name is on the Salvage title)

* If vehicle was purchased with a salvage title already on the vehicle the VTR form must be signed by the Seller in front of a notary and the purchase price must be filled in so that sales tax can be calculated when the vehicle is ready to be licensed.  If this VTR form is not signed by the Seller of the vehicle with the purchase price written in by the Seller then the Clerk’s Office must charge sales tax based off of NADA’s current clean retail value when the vehicle is ready to be licensed.

– Need SHERIFF’S INSPECTION completed on VTR form once repairs made.

– AFFIDAVIT OF MOTOR VEHICLE ASSEMBLED FROM WRECKAGE OR SALVAGED MOTOR VEHICLE signed and notarized by person who is applying for Rebuilt Title.

– MOTORCYCLE’s going through rebuilt also need a pencil tracing of the motor # (not VIN #) 

Once all paperwork is completed correctly. The paperwork must be submitted to Frankfort for approval. We can do this a few different ways:

– For KY titles: We can scan them into Frankfort using the Salvage Title Receipt and all completed rebuilt paperwork. We can also do this by mail.

– For Out of State Titles: The Salvage Title Receipt and all completed rebuilt paperwork must be mailed into Frankfort.

Frankfort will mail out a letter (takes approximately 2 weeks from date Rebuilt Title is applied for through your County Clerk’s Office) authorizing your vehicle to be licensed and driven on the road.  Once you receive your letter bring it to your County Clerk’s Office with your proof of insurance on the vehicle.

Once you have your approval letter and proof of Kentucky insurance you may go to the Barren County Clerk’s Office to apply for the rebuilt title and get a license plate for the vehicle.

Skip to content