loader image
Learn about the safe, effective COVID-19 vaccines and find where to get vaccinated at vaccine.ky.gov
Boat renewal

You will not be able to renew your boat without a valid HIN. For more information please visit drive.ky.gov or contact us at 270.651.3783.

How to register a vehicle moving into the state?

The following requirements must be met before a vehicle can be titled in Kentucky:

Application for Title/Registration Form (TC96-182).
The Owner/Buyer and Seller (if the ownership is changing) sections must be signed and notarized.
When completed, Form TC96-182
 serves as your odometer statement which is necessary.

If the title is being held by a lien holder, it must be released to the Barren County Clerk. The release is requested through an Out-of-State Title Request form which our office will use to make the request on your behalf. We ask that you come to our office to make this request. The following information will be needed to make the request:

  • Name of Lienholder
  • Address of Lienholder
  • Account Number (if available)
  • Fax Number of Lienholder (if available)
  • Vehicle Information (i.e. year, make, VIN Number)        

The County Clerk’s Office will notify you of receipt of your title from the lien holder. If you do not apply for title and registration in Kentucky within thirty (30) days from the date the County Clerk’s Office receives the title from the lien holder, the title will be returned to the lien holder on the thirty-first (31st) day.

A Sheriff’s Inspection is required on all out-of-state vehicles. You must take the title and vehicle to the Barren County Sheriff’s Office.

There is a fee of $5.00 (cash or check) for inspections. The Sheriff inspection’s telephone number is 270.651.2771.

How to register a vehicle out of state?

When a Kentucky resident moves out of state, they must title their vehicle in their new state of residency. Some states do not notify Kentucky that the vehicle is now registered in a new state.

To ensure the vehicle is taken off the tax records, return a copy of the new states title or registration along with the Kentucky license plate OR completed TC 96-167 to the county clerk’s office.

If current year taxes have not been paid, they will be due at the time the moved out of state is processed.

KRS134.810 States any vehicle currently in your name or any vehicle that was in your name as of January 1st that you would be liable for that year(s) taxes.

To inquire about current year tax amounts you may contact us by phone 270.651.3783 or email

Mailing address:
Barren County Clerk’s Office
117-1A North Public Square
Glasgow, KY 42141

How to obtain or update a KY driver’s license?

Driver’s licensing is a division of the Circuit Court Clerk, the following contact information is provided as a courtesy. They may be reached at 270.651.3763

How do I find the amount of taxes paid for a previous year, for tax purposes?

With the license plate number, title number or vehicle identification number you may obtain the previous year tax information by contacting the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783 or here at https://secure.kentucky.gov/kytc/vinlookup/

What is a lien/is there a lien filed on my vehicle?

A lien is a legal claim on the property of another for the satisfaction of a debt.

If you would like to check the vehicle’s status to see if there have been any liens filed in Kentucky please have the vehicle identification number (VIN), title number, or license plate number ready and contact us at 270.651.3783.

How do I file a lien release?

Lien releases are handled by:

Barren County Clerk
Lien Department
117-1A North Public Square
Glasgow, KY 42141
Phone: 270.651.3783

Lien releases may also be processed at the Barren County Clerk’s Office. If you would like to check the vehicle’s status to see if there have been any liens filed in Kentucky please have the vehicle identification number (VIN), title number, or license plate number and contact us by phone at 270.651.3783.

Do I need to change my address on my registration/title when if I move?

It is important that your registration have your updated address as any notifications are mailed to the last address on file.

The title is your ownership document and only needs to be changed if you are changing ownership of the vehicle.

I mailed in my registration and haven’t received my renewal.

If your payment has not cleared, your registration may be lost in the mail.  If the payment has cleared your bank, contact the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783 to verify your address and receive assistance replacing the lost registration or the titled owner of the vehicle can come into the Clerk’s Office for assistance.

I didn’t receive my renewal notice in the mail.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet sends the renewal notice as a courtesy reminder 45 days prior to expiration of your registration to the last address of record.  If a notice is not received it is not necessary to have the notice as they are sometimes lost in the mail.  To find out how much your renewal please have the vehicle identification number (VIN), title number, or license plate number ready and contact the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783 or come in for assistance.

Why can’t I renew online?

Not all license plates issued in Kentucky are eligible for online renewal.  As of May 12th, 2016, The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) launched a new online application that allows motorists to renew standard, specialty, and personalized Kentucky license plates.  To check the eligibility of your license plate go: drive.ky.gov and check the box Available for Renewal Online

Review the following details before you start the process:

  • Vehicles registered in separate counties to the current owner must be renewed separately.
  • Leased vehicles cannot be renewed online.
  • The vehicle(s) renewed must have unexpired registration(s).
  • The owner of the vehicle(s) cannot have overdue property taxes on any other vehicles they own.
  • Vehicle(s) must be currently insured with a company that is registered with the Kentucky Department of Insurance to be eligible to renew online. If you have obtained insurance within the last 45 days, your information may not be in our database. This will prohibit you from renewing your vehicle online. Please visit your County Clerk’s office to renew.
  • The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act exempts certain military personnel from paying personal vehicle Ad Valorem tax. To find out if you qualify for the exemption, please contact the Property Valuation Administrator’s (PVA) office in your county of residence. Click here to find your county PVA.


Mainly, to renew online your address must be current, your registration must not be expired and you must have verifiable proof of insurance.  If you meet all requirements you can go to drive.ky.gov and complete the online renewal process.

How do you replace a lost or stolen decal or license plate?

The titled owner of the vehicle may replace a lost/stolen decal or license plate by coming into the Barren County Clerk’s Office with their current KY proof of insurance and proper identification. If the current registration is not expired and only a replacement is needed then the total cost is $6.00.

If the vehicle registration has expired any applicable taxes and registration fees are required before replacements can be done.

Is a vehicle being transferred to a relative tax exempt?

Kentucky does allow a usage tax exemption on a Kentucky titled vehicle being transferred between related parties. All parties must live in the state of Kentucky. The exemption is allowed between immediate relatives only (i.e. spouse/spouse, parent/child or grandparent/grandchild).

How do I obtain a vehicle transfer record (VTR) from the website?

The Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration is form TC96-182 commonly referred to as a VTR is available on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet website. It is also available on our Motor Vehicle and Boat Forms page here.

I am Active Duty Military stationed out of state/overseas. How do I title my vehicle in KY?

For Active Duty Military stationed out of state to title a vehicle in Kentucky, you must be a resident of the state.

You will need:

  1. certificate of title
  2. Form TC96-182
  3. Form TC96-229
  4. Proof of insurance
  5. Proof of residency
  6. Copy of Active Duty Military ID, current orders or LES

For applicable fees and further assistance contact the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783.

*For vehicles purchased overseas customs documents are required. *

I am Active Duty Military stationed out of state/overseas. How do I renew my registration in KY?

To renew Kentucky registration, you must be a resident of the state or Active Duty Military stationed at a military base in Kentucky.  You will need to submit the current registration, proof of insurance with a copy of the Active Duty Military ID, LES or current orders.  Contact the Barren County Clerk’s Office for assistance with fees due at 270.651.3783.

What is needed to transfer a vehicle from a deceased party?

Before a vehicle can be transferred from a deceased party someone must be appointed by probate court to sign on behalf of the deceased.  Barren County Circuit Court Probate Division may be reached at 270.651.9839 or 270.651.2561 for assistance with any probate documentation.

To complete the transfer the title and probate documents are required, along with Kentucky proof of insurance in the buyer/new owners name, and a copy of the Will if applicable.

What is the process of applying for a salvage title?

To apply for a salvage title, the license plate AND title must be turned into the County Clerk Office.  A standard application will cost $9.00 and can take up to six weeks to receive by mail or a SPEED title application will cost $25.00 and takes three to five days by mail.

Please note that if the current years tax has not been paid it will come due within 30 days of applying for the salvage title.

If you have any questions you may contact the Barren County Clerk’s Office at 270.651.3783.

What is the process of applying for rebuilt title?

Once the salvaged vehicle has been repaired and is road worthy, you must complete the rebuilt process to put the vehicle back on the road.

To complete this process, you will need:

  • ALL ORIGINAL RECEIPTS for parts purchased to repair the vehicle.
  • LABOR STATEMENT – should consist of work done on vehicle and how many hours it took to complete each repair (signed by person who completed the repairs in front of a notary)
  • Signed by current owner in front of a notary (person whose name is on the Salvage title)
    • * if vehicle was purchased with a salvage title already on the vehicle the VTR form must be signed by the Seller in front of a notary and the purchase price must be filled in so that sales tax can be calculated when the vehicle is ready to be licensed.  If this VTR form is not signed by the Seller of the vehicle with the purchase price written in by the Seller then the Clerk’s Office must charge sales tax on the blue book value when the vehicle is ready to be licensed.
  • Need SHERIFF’S INSPECTION completed on VTR form once repairs made.
  • AFFIDAVIT OF MOTOR VEHICLE ASSEMBLED FROM WRECKAGE OR SALVAGED MOTOR VEHICLE signed and notarized by person who is applying for Rebuilt Title.
  • MOTORCYCLE’s going through rebuilt also need a pencil tracing of the motor # (not VIN #)


Once all paperwork is completed correctly. The paperwork must be submitted to Frankfort for approval. We can do this a few different ways:

For KY titles:

  • We can scan them into Frankfort using the Salvage Title Receipt and all completed rebuilt paperwork. We can also do this by mail.
  • For Out of State Titles:
  • The Salvage Title Receipt and all completed rebuilt paperwork must be mailed into Frankfort.

Frankfort will mail out a letter (takes approximately 2 weeks from date Rebuilt Title is applied for through your County Clerk’s Office) authorizing your vehicle to be licensed and driven on the road.  Once you receive your letter bring it to your County Clerk’s Office with your proof of insurance on the vehicle.                         

Once you have your approval letter and proof of Kentucky insurance you may go to the Barren County Clerk’s Office to apply for the rebuilt title and get a license plate for the vehicle.

Why did I receive an insurance letter cancelling my registration?

When the Department of Vehicle Regulation is unable to verify insurance coverage a notice is sent to the owner of any motor vehicle registered in Kentucky who does not maintain insurance as required by law.

Please have the vehicle identification number (VIN), title number, or license plate number ready and you may contact us at 270.651.3783 or come by the Barren County Clerk’s Office for assistance.

Skip to content